The forest which hosts the Half Moon Festival is located near the Ban Tai Village, on the island of Koh Phangan. Located in the southern part of the Gulf of Siam in Thailand, Koh Phangan is your dream-like picture-perfect tropical paradise island.
World famous for it’s many parties, the island is also home to wonderful beaches, hidden waterfalls and primeval forests.
Whether you come in search of hidden party paradise or in search of serene and relaxing places, you can still find both on magical Koh Phangan.
Ban Tai, is now the main happening spot of the island.
It is conveniently located on the south of the island: between the two main arrival piers: Thong Sala & Haad Rin.
There is no airport on the island… so you will be arriving by boat from Surat Thani (mainland) or from Koh Samui (neighboring island which has an airport).
From Koh Samui
Samui International Airport is the closest airport to Koh Phangan, and fastest way to reach the island. With daily flights coming-in from Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and many International routes.
The journey from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan is done by boat:
- By Ferry > about 60 minutes, and costs about 450 Thai Baht. The last Ferry departs Koh Samui around 6 PM.
- By Speed Boats: Takes about 30 minutes, and costs about 1400 Thai Baht. Speed Boats depart from Samui at 9, 10 and 11 PM These prices are for direct speedboats to and from the event, and taxi hotel transfer.
- Speed Boat Companies: My Samui Island: http://mysamuiisland.com/ and Funny Day Sea Tour: +66 (0) 77 430 55
From Surat Thani
Surat Thani Airport is for low-cost airlines, it takes longer to reach Koh Phangan but prices are cheaper.The journey from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Phangan is done by bus (from the airport to the pier) and then by Ferry or Speed ferry.
- Bus+Ferry: Takes about 5hrs and costs about 500-1000 THB.
- Bus+Speed Ferry: Takes about 3hrs and costs about 700-1200 THB
- If you fly on Air Asia you can book bus+ferry tickets directly from Air Asia website
- Ferry Companies: Lomprayah: http://www.lomprayah.com/ and Raja Ferry: https://www.rajaferryport.com/
Roundtrip Bus+Ferry Package: Leave 10pm the day before and cost about 2500 baht by Lohmprayah http://www.lomprayah.com and costs about 2500 THB. (Total commute time 12 hours)
Roundtrip Low-Cost Airticket+Bus+Ferry Package: http://www.nokair.com and cost about 5000 THB. (Total commute time 5 hours)
Roundtrip Full-Fare Airticket to Samui (Please refer to how to get from Samui above): http://www.bangkokairways.com and costs about 8000-9000 THB. (Total commute time 1.5 hours)